Waterfall model follows application development in phases with checkpoint and deliverable documents in each checkpoint. It advocates rigours project management, strategy and processes to track the status. The main drawback is that it require more than 80% project understanding before kick off the project which is impossible in major cases. Cause of volatile requirements and understanding business feels, 80% of software projects using this methodology fail to meet their objectives. Continue reading
When we define SOA strategies at an enterprise level, we deal with multiple Line of Business (LOB) systems; some of them will be dealing with the same kind of business entity as well. This necessitates a Common Data Model (CDM) or Canonical Data Model.
SOA creates an environment where different types of data must work together. This makes application development complex. Service Data Object (SDO) provides a very simple programming model that addresses this issue. The key high level advantages of SDO are:
- Uniform access to data from heterogeneous sources which could be XML, RDB, POJO, SOAP, etc.
- SDO provides both a static (or strongly typed) programming model and a dynamic (or loosely typed) programming model. This provides a simple programming model without sacrificing the dynamic model needed by tools and frameworks.
- Provides Meta-data for easy introspection of data types
- Supports a disconnected model, whereby data can be retrieved from a data source via Data Access Service. The data can be modified by a client with change tracking, and applied back to the data source.
- SDO programming model is language neutral
Web page designs are becoming innovative with rich interface which involve extra code such as java scripts, css, and images etc. Most of the end-user response time tied-up in downloading these components.Optimizations of number of http requests and response size are the key parameters to improve the web application performance. Continue reading